Monday, September 19, 2011

PSA: Back Up Your Pictures!

Ugh! Saturday night, I was online and an alert popped up in the bottom right hand corner of the laptop screen. It said something about an issue that it wanted me to deal with right then. I had no idea what it was, so I just exited out (mistake #1). About a minute later, a blue screen appeared saying that there was an error & then the computer shut down. Oh. NO. It spent the rest of the night trying to restart & fix the problem on it's own, to no avail. I eventually shut the thing off manually, stupidly thinking that maybe if it was off overnight it would fix the problem.

Sunday afternoon, we turned the laptop back on and it was still doing the same thing as the night before. Surprise, surprise. We tried a few of the options that the computer was prompting us to do, but none of them worked either. The last thing it suggested was to run recovery...so we did (big mistake #2). As it finished running recovery I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was just sure that it had erased everything. &what do you know? It did. Oh yes, I was soon greeted by a friendly screen welcoming me to my "New HP Computer!" Blah. After I set up my "new computer" I confirmed that everything was gone. Everything. All our documents, pictures, videos, music....everything.

I had a lot of pictures on facebook & several videos on youtube, but definitely not even half of them. There are no videos before Bennett was 3 months old. I made a video for his first birthday...it's gone. All of those adorable videos of newborn Bennett cooing at us...gone. breaks. my. heart.

End of the world? Well, no. But what happens when I can't recall those videos in my memory? Seriously. I can't stop kicking myself.

Moral of my sad, sad story? Please back up your pictures & videos. Music & documents for that matter, too! You can bet that I'll be backing all of mine up each and every time I put them on the computer.

Depressing post. Here's a picture to cheer me  you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment